Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Why do I have to suffer or be inconvenienced because other people in my household are thoughtless and irresponsible?

I am not selfish. I don’t mind sharing. You have to compromise when you live with others. That’s not a big thing. But it would be nice if when I go grocery shopping and bring food home I expect to have food in the fridge to eat when I am hungry. Let’s just say I no longer buy groceries. I don’t cook here either. The last time I brought food home was because a friend of mine gave me a small precooked ham. YUMMY! I kept it in the walk-in at my work for the two nights that I was working. 1) Because I know my co-workers despite some of their other faults, are considerate enough to not touch other people’s food. 2) I would be able to have a nice lunch. So, all is well and good. I bring the ham home since it is my weekend. It is wrapped in plastic wrap with my name written on the plastic wrap in marker. PLUS it is in a plastic bag that has the logo of my store on it. Kind of obvious who it belongs to one would think. So with my food not resting in the fridge, its bed time. Wake up later that afternoon go about my usual routine. Get called in to work, come home and back to bed. Wake up about 5am and you know what; a couple slices of ham sounds pretty good. So I mosey downstairs to the kitchen grab the bag out of the fridge and take out the ham. Over half of it is gone. But there is a crock-pot full of what I am guessing to be ham and bean soup. Screw this! I get a knife and proceed to slice up what is left and put it on a plate. Throw the plastic wrap and bag away, and put the knife in the sink, and begin to head upstairs. On my way back thru the living room one of my roomies, Arnold, who just happened to be camped out on the couch asks “Did you clean up your mess?”What the hell does he mean “mess”? What mess????? I used a friggin knife that’s it!!!!! I do not bring food into this house because it disappears. I do not cook in this house because on the extremely rare occasion that I do want to cook (and actually have food here) there are never clean dishes to use cause they are too lazy to scrape them off and put them in the dishwasher, and I don’t keep food to here any way. Therefore if there ever is a mess in that kitchen you can damn well guarantee that it is not mine. I just bite my tongue and walk back up stairs. To enjoy what is left of my ham. (And my plans to have a nice big bowl of bean and ham soup later. I am entitled to it right? I contributed to it. So therefore I should be able to partake. Either that or wait till they are gone and pick every little bit of meat out of it. I am not that OCD or mean.) What has my knickers in a twist is that no one asked me if it would be ok to use some of the ham. Of course I would have said yes. I don’t have a problem sharing. Just don’t assume that I am going to.


Moving on, it’s been a few days since the ham thing, (the soup was really good). I am upstairs in my room having a post work/day off beer. When all of a sudden the internet just doesn’t work. Odd. I close my browser and restart it to see it that helps. Nope. Next step go unplug the modem and the router. Plug them back in. restart my browser, “additional login information may be required”. WTF? “Welcome to Big Ole Cable Company Internet activation” Huh? I go thru the steps, it asks for account #. I go down stairs to where my roomie keeps the bills and grab an old one and write the account # down. But the bills back in the file cabinet come back upstairs and go thru all the prompts. “Further information is needed to activate your account.” What the hell???? Wait a sec. I go down stairs and turn on the TV and flip thru several channels. We don’t have cable either. I sent my roomie, Jessica, and text asking her to call me when she gets a break. “Is everything ok?” she replies. I message her that it is not life or death but we don’t have cable, OR internet, and I didn’t know if there was a problem or just a glitch.

“Yeah there is a problem! When the bill came it was $400, all charges for “watch it now” movies. About 30 total”

“Wow. Ok. Was just kind of shocked that’s all” I respond. When they decided to get cable this time I made sure that they knew I wasn’t going to pay for it. I don’t watch the telly. Not by choice. There is always someone in front of it playing video games or camped out on the couch. But I would be willing to pay for internet if they added that in.

So because either Arnold or James decided to watch who knows what and run up the bill, I have to suffer. If I am at home I am in my room. I don’t leave my room except to go to the bathroom, have a cig, or to leave the damn house. Needless to say I called the cable co. and set up my own account. At least I will have internet. Secure network and all that. MINE! Sorry not going to share this time. Didn’t get cable or telephone or any of that crap, don’t need it. Just give me internet access and everything will be just fine.



-Jezebelle Lee Compton

No comments:

Post a Comment